What has the ATTRACT seed funding enabled you to do so far?
- Implementation of a practical and affordable measurement tool for lasers, using the well-known physics process evanescent wave.
- Development of an attenuation device that has allowed to simplify the handling of high-power lasers. Using an analogy; a nuclear bomb and a nuclear power plant use the same nuclear fission process, the difference lies within the metrology and control. In the same way, lasers evolved to beasts for which metrology and control makes a huge difference in quality and usability. Our technology for the attenuation of the laser beam can make this difference, transforming the complicated art of laser beam handling into the joy of simplicity and reliability of high power lasers, allowing the user to focus on the intended achievement, and not on the laser tool.
- Development of a patent and drafting an article on laser attenuation devices.
What challenges have you faced so far?
- Before ATTRACT, building an effective working partnership with the industrial partner involved was challenging, but this problem was solved when the grant was obtained.
- Dealing with technology transfer mechanisms in our institution.
Where does your ATTRACT journey go from here?
- Market prospects for the specific needs of customers.
- Prototyping and testing customer-centred devices.
- Further development and commercialisation of a family of products.
Sum up in two sentences the advantages of the ATTRACT Programme over other research funding schemes.
- Targeted and flexible funding, short implementation time with minimal management that provides a unique chance for the inner technician to connect with the inner entrepreneur.
- Learning to think and become an entrepreneur.